Sarah, one of our BePure Holistic Health Consultants from the BePure Clinic, has pulled together a wholesome, quick and easy meal that supports the nourishment and wellbeing of both our bodies and our minds.
It can sometimes feel like a challenge to think of meal ideas when looking for delicious and nourishing meals that are gluten and dairy-free… But don't fret, we have created this simple, quick and delicious lamb dish which serves all of your dietary requirements and will go down a treat!
Traditionally made with greek yoghurt, word on the street is that the dairy-free, coconut yoghurt tzatziki tastes even better! Coconut yoghurt is full of healthy fats which our brains love! It also contains probiotic cultures which nourish the good gut bacteria and we learnt last week how crucial the link between our gut and brain is.
Providing a filling and nutritious gluten-free carbohydrate to support your mind is something we believe is important in the BePure clinic. Carbohydrates are nourishing for your gut and mind, our brains’ main energy source is glucose and carbohydrates when broken down are converted into glucose.
The Kiwi Quinoa we used is sourced right here in New Zealand. Quinoa is one of the few plant foods that is considered a complete protein. It contains all nine essential amino acids that are needed to support neurotransmitter production and for general cellular build and repair.
As well as being an excellent source of protein, lamb has other nutrients we can benefit from. It is rich in iron and calcium, these both support the body in producing new red blood cells and keep our cells oxygenated, keeping our minds active and alert.
Ensuring we have adequate iron levels also reduces our risk of anemia and keeps fatigue and tiredness at bay, both things we need to actively support when looking after our mental wellbeing. Lamb contains ample amounts of omega-3 fatty acids which are essential for maintaining a happy, healthy brain.
The other star of this dish is broccoli – my personal favourite favourite vegetable – firstly because it looks like a tree and being around green trees has been shown to boost your feel-good hormones (yahoo!) but most importantly because it contains an active ingredient, once chewed, called sulforaphane. Sulfurophane is a powerful antioxidant, which supports free radical damage inflammation in the body. Reducing inflammation is essential for feeling good in your skin.
Next time you have friends over and you want to impress, you can whip up this recipe in no time, and relax knowing all your nutritional requirements are met for the night!
Serves 4 | DF, GF, RSF
Lamb and Quinoa Ingredients
- 1 pack of grass-fed, organic lamb leg steak
- 1 C dry Kiwi Quinoa, rinsed
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 100g slivered almonds
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Amino Sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- In a pot, cover 1 cup of quinoa with 3 cups of water (and/ or bone broth for extra flavour) and bring to the boil. Place a lid on and cook for 20 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a pan on medium heat, lightly fry the chopped garlic.
- Add the lamb leg steaks to the pan and cook on a high heat for 3-4 minutes each side for medium/rare. Transfer to a plate and cover to rest for 3 minutes.
- With pan on medium heat, cook almonds with coconut amino sauce and throw in the chopped broccoli, cook for 3 minutes or until preferred texture.
- To serve, place the quinoa into a bowl with the broccoli and lamb. Top with the coconut tzatziki (recipe below) and season as required.
Coconut Tzatziki Ingredients
- ⅓ cucumber, diced finely
- 1 handful mint, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 C unsweetened coconut yoghurt
- ¼ C cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Pinch of salt and cracked pepper
- For the tzatziki, place everything into a small bowl and mix together well. Taste and adjust as needed. Serve immediately, or place in the fridge.
If you have a go at making this recipe, let us know! We love seeing your BePure recipes. Tag us in your Instagram pictures @bepurewellness.