The fibre in our food is a really valuable tool to assist in maintaining regular, well-formed bowel movements and to help clear out your bowels if you are feeling a bit clogged.
Fibre slows the rate at which sugar is absorbed into the bloodstream, contributes to feeding your gut bacteria and of course, aids in keeping you regular.
While you can consume too much fibre, which would result in either diarrhea or constipation, most people are at more likely to consume too little.
To help bump up your fibre intake, we have come up with a gluten and dairy free recipe. Try these no-bake digestion bars packed with chia seeds and ground flaxseeds that are sure to help you achieve the optimal poop!
Serves 12 | GF, DF, RSF
- ¼ cup raw organic runny honey
- 1 Tbsp raw organic butter or 1-2 Tbsp of melted coconut oil
- 1 cup quinoa flakes or gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- Line a small (20cm x 10cm) baking dish with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- On low heat, melt the raw honey and butter/coconut oil. When melted add to the mixture and mix with your hands or a wooden spoon until combined.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared pan and firmly press.
- Chill in the freezer for 15 - 20 minutes until firm.
- Remove from freezer and place on a chopping board to cut into bars.